In this section we will investigate the primary roof framing options that are simple to build, and are consequently appropriate for owner builders. Included is information on:
- The basic theory of roof construction and weight transfer
- The simplest of all roofing systems that is easiest to build and the most cost effective.
- Tie downs of rafters and roof purlins to prevent wind damage.
- A method of removing the twist from rafters as part of their installation
- Rafter to ridge beam connection
- Marking rafters for the cutting of the birds mouth to connection to a ridge beam.
- Rafter to ridge connection
- Installation of roof trusses
- When to use roof trusses
- Roof depth to accommodate insulation.